Gas safety

GAS safety certificate

landlord’s gas safety certificate, also referred to as the landlord’s gas safety record, is required by law to be held for all rental accommodation in the UK where there are gas appliances present. The law requires all gas appliances in a rented property to be checked annually, with a gas safety record being completed and a copy provided to tenants.

Gas safety records, Sometimes referred to as a CP12 (From CORGI Proforma 12 when CORGI was UK body for gas safety. The certificate are completed by engineers who must be registered with the Gas Safe Register scheme which took over from the previous CORGI scheme in 2009.

Gas safety checks should be carried out on any boilers, ovens, pipework, flues, chimneys and other fixtures and fittings that burn or exhaust gas. The checklist includes:

  • Appliances are working at the correct pressure
  • Appliances are burning gas properly
  • There’s adequate air supply to appliances
  • Flues and chimneys are clear so gases and fumes can be safely discharged
  • Safety devices on appliances are working as they should